9/28/16 “IF GOD DOESN’T TEMPT ME, WHO DOES?” – Pastor Shane Idleman
Complete Sermon Notes
If God Doesn’t Tempt Me, Who Does?
James part TWO: 9-28-16
James 1:9 Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, 10 but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away. 11 For no sooner has the sun risen with a burning heat than it withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beautiful appearance perishes. So the rich man also will fade away in his pursuits.
The poor are reminded to persevere, the rich to humble themselves.
Pursue the “right things” – famous golfers, actors, and sports figures who die are forgotten – life is a vapor – here and then gone.
Psalm 90:12 – NLT Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.
ESV So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.
* Spiritual Choices, Family Decisions, Money Matters and Health choices …
12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
1. Bearing it is normal – To endure is to “bear it” – we are not trapped; we are not without hope. God will help us carry the load, but there is a load to carry.
‘Approved’ – there is a season
2. It’s not God’s Fault: When we see something we need, desire, or want, our first impulse is to act on it. The pressure feels unbearable and we cave in. This defining moment is often the most difficult when overcoming temptation.
‘Let no one say’ – excuses prevent victory
3. Drawn away – Succumbing to temptation is often gradual, easy, and effortless. We’re often too smart to take deliberate plunges, but we’re easily enticed to take one step at a time, one compromise at a time, one bad choice at a time until we’re at the bottom. It’s important to resist at the lowest level of intensity and at the first opportunity.
‘Entice’ means that it looks good – like a lure when fishing
4. The end result is never good. ‘When desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.’
We are far beyond a backdoor approach, we need to hit the enemy head on.
You can’t say, “I don’t want to get involved”…you’re already a target.
5. God offers HOPE: 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able [We can say “No”], but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure [bear] it.”
When we obey God, He strengthens us: “Just as water ever seeks and fills the lowest place, so the moment God finds you abased and empty, His glory and power flow in” (Andrew Murray).
PRACTICAL APPLICATION: If God Doesn’t Tempt Me, Who Does?
The Flesh, The Devil, and the World
Chose opposite of what the flesh wants
Resist – fight him
Avoid the world’s influence – its ‘pull’
NEXT WEEK: When you go through trials, you are especially vulnerable to deception.